David A. Lipton represents commercial truck drivers
(CDL) charged with:
As a commercial driver, your livelihood depends on a points-free and CDL violation-free CDL. Attorney David A. Lipton represents commercial drivers with CDLs who face moving violations, traffic tickets, and DUI charges throughout the metro Atlanta, Georgia area.
Accruing points on your CDL driving history for a speeding ticket or other moving violation may present a threat to your employment and driving privileges.
MANDATORY SUSPENSION FOR COMMERCIAL DRIVER’S LICENSE FOR COMMISSION OF A “SERIOUS TRAFFIC VIOLATION"
Serious traffic violations for Commercial Driver's License drivers are defined in Georgia as the following violations:
• Speeding 15 or more over the limit
• Reckless Driving
• Improper or erratic lane change (except failure to signal when changing lanes)
• Following too closely
• Any traffic violation in connection with a fatal accident
• Operating a Commercial Motor Vehicle without obtaining a Commercial Drivers License
• Operating a Commercial Motor Vehicle without a license in the possession of the driver
• Operating a Commercial Motor Vehicle without a Commercial Drivers License of the proper class and/or endorsements for the specific vehicle being operated or for the passengers or type of cargo transported
• Railroad grade crossing violations
Any driver convicted of two of these types of offenses within a 10-year period (which is measured from the date of “arrest” to the date of “arrest” for which the conviction was obtained), WHETHER YOU ARE IN A COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE or a NON-COMMERCIAL VEHICLE, your commercial driver’s license will be suspended and you will be disqualified from driving a Commercial Motor Vehicle for 60 days. In the event of a 3rd conviction, the disqualification will be for 120 days.
NOTE: The first conviction shall not cause a disqualification of the driver’s commercial driving privileges. However, the second conviction within the 10-year period will cause a 60-day suspension of the driver’s commercial privileges. The third conviction within the 10-year period will cause a 120-day suspension of the driver’s commercial privileges.
NOTE: The disqualification of a commercial driver’s license caused by conviction of any of the above-referenced offenses will “run” consecutively—not concurrently. Also, for the purposes of counting convictions for these offenses, the convictions must arise out of separate incidents.
A NOLO CONTENDERE or NO CONTEST plea will NOT be accepted by the Georgia Department of Drivers Services for any conviction received in the operation of a commercial vehicle.
No limited driving permit is available for this period of suspension. If you possess a CDL or you are considering obtaining a CDL and you face a traffic charge, we recommend you seek legal counsel immediately.
MANDATORY SUSPENSION FOR COMMERCIAL DRIVER’S LICENSE FOR COMMISSION OF A “MAJOR TRAFFIC VIOLATION"
Major traffic offenses committed while operating a Commercial Motor Vehicle or a Non Commercial Motor Vehicle defined as follows:
• Operating a Commercial Motor Vehicle or non-Commercial Motor Vehicle while under the influence of alcohol
• Operating a Commercial Motor Vehicle with a blood-alcohol concentration of .04 or greater
• Refusal to submit to a chemical test
• Driving a Commercial Motor Vehicle or non-Commercial Motor Vehicle while under the influence of a controlled substance
• Leaving the scene of an accident (CMV or non-CMV)
• Felony involving the use of a motor vehicle (CMV or non-CMV)
• Causing a fatality through the negligent operation of a Commercial Motor Vehicle
• Operating a Commercial Motor Vehicle when the driver’s Commercial Drivers License is suspended
• Use of a Commercial Motor Vehicle or non-Commercial Motor Vehicle in the commission of a felony involving the manufacturing, distributing, or dispensing of a controlled substance
• Racing on the streets and highways
• Using any motor vehicle in attempting to flee or elude an officer
• Operating any motor vehicle with a revoked, cancelled, or suspended registration in violation of O.C.G.A. §40- 6-15
• Theft of a commercial motor vehicle or cargo contained therein
• Administrative Per Se (Driving with an alcohol concentration of .08 or more pursuant to Georgia Implied Consent).
Any of these violations will result in a disqualification. If the violation involves the commission of a felony involving the manufacturing, distributing, or dispensing of a controlled substance, the disqualification is for LIFE. Otherwise, the disqualification is for 3 years when it occurs while the Commercial Motor Vehicle is transporting hazardous materials that require a placard. All other suspensions are for 1 year for the first violation, and lifetime for the 2nd violation.
Commercial Drivers License
(CDL) - Truck Driver Violations
Commercial drivers face many additional problems and ramifications when dealing with traffic tickets in the State of Georgia. In addition to any consequences that a commercial driver may face due to the policies of his employer, the State of Georgia has different rules for commercial drivers that are much more strict than for non-commercial drivers.
If you are a commercial truck driver charged with any traffic or moving violation, including Speeding, Driving Under the Influence (DUI), Lane Violation, Following Too Closely, Log book, or any other traffic ticket in the Atlanta, Georgia area, it is important that you speak with an experienced Commercial Drivers License traffic ticket lawyer to review your case, try to preserve your CDL driving privileges, and reduce or eliminate points on your Commercial Drivers License.
David A. Lipton is a Commercial Drivers License and traffic ticket lawyer, and represents Commercial Drivers License clients in Cobb, Cherokee, Dekalb, Douglas, Gwinnett, and Fulton Counties, including the municipalities of Acworth, Atlanta, Canton, College Park, Decatur, Doraville, Douglasville, Kennesaw, Marietta, Sandy Springs, Smyrna, Woodstock, Villa Rica, Conyers and the entire metro Atlanta, Georgia area.
Atlanta Speeding and Traffic Ticket Lawyer David A. Lipton serves most
counties and cities in the Atlanta Metropolitan Area and North Georgia
•Cobb •DeKalb •Fulton •Forsyth •Gwinnett
•Alpharetta •Atlanta •Austell •Chamblee •Cumming •Decatur •Doraville •Duluth •Dunwoody •Johns Creek •Kennesaw •Lawrenceville •Marietta •Norcross •Roswell Sandy Springs •Smyrna •Vinings
Call Attorney David Lipton 24 Hours a Day at 770-797-9968 for a Free Consultation
David A. Lipton
Attorney at Law
8237 Dunwoody Place
Atlanta, GA 30350
Phone (770) 797-9968
Fax (770) 797-9967
All information contained herein is provided for the purpose of providing basic information only and should not be construed as formal legal advice. The authors disclaim any and all liability resulting from reliance upon such information. You are strongly encouraged to seek professional legal advice before relying upon any of the information contained herein. Legal advice should be sought directly from a properly retained lawyer or attorney.